The top 20 countries where Christianity is growing the fastest
WHERE IS CHRISTIANITY growing the fastest? The Centre for the Study of Global Christianity, based at Gordon Conwell Seminary, published in June 2013 an excellent report regarding Christianity in its Global Context. The full report can be found online at www.globalchristianity.org/globalcontext.
From this report the top 20 countries that have the highest percentage Christianity Average Annual Growth Rate (AAGR) are identified and listed in Table 1. The number of years for the number of Christians to double, based on the Average Annual Growth Rate has also been calculated.
What’s happening in these countries?
- Are you surprised to see that 19 of the countries in the top 20 are in Asia and Africa?
- Did you notice 11 countries on the top 20 list are Muslim majority countries?
- Did you catch that not a single country from Europe, Northern America or Latin America makes the top 20 list?
- Did you notice the world’s newest country, South Sudan? South Sudan became an independent country in July 2011, separating from the Muslim majority of Northern Sudan.
- Did you see that highest Christian growth rates are found among all major non-Christian religious groups: Hindus, Non-Religious, Buddhists, Muslims and Ethno-religionists (Benin and South Sudan)?
- Did you observe that the majority of the top 20 countries are clustered in three areas: Eastern Asia, Western Africa and the Arabian Peninsula?
Clearly some interesting things are happening in these countries.
Table 1. The top 20 countries where Christianity has the highest percentage growth rate.