OUR COMMITMENT TO TRAINING IN THE DEVELOPING WORLD
An Interview with International Leadership Development Director Bruce Hills
THE MAJORITY of these leaders receive little or no formal or ongoing training. These seminars go part of the way in bringing much-needed training in the areas of ministry and leadership.
WHO, SPECIFICALLY, IS BEING TRAINED?
The seminars are run for two different demographics: pastors and emerging leaders (age 18–35).
DOES WORLD OUTREACH INTERNATIONAL DO ITS OWN THING OR WORK WITH EXISTING MINISTRIES AND/OR MOVEMENTS?
WOI values partnership. We partner with a nation’s key leaders or missionaries. WOI seeks to serve what is already taking place in the nation without being aligned with any particular denomination.
IS THERE A SET CURRICULUM?
No. Every nation’s leadership training needs are different, so after consultation with local leaders, the topics are tailored for the particular context.
HOW ARE THE TOPICS DETERMINED?
Wherever possible, I conduct a pre-seminar trip to: meet WOI personnel and key national leaders, ascertain leadership training needs and set dates for future seminars. I try to understand unique cultural and leadership challenges so I can determine the best speakers and topics.
HOW ARE THE TARGET NATIONS CHOSEN?
We apply a number of criteria in determining which nations to target for leadership training:
- Large numbers of Least-Reached People groups in the nation or surrounding nations
- WOI has a presence or key partner in the nation
- WOI has the expertise and ability to meet the specific leadership training needs
- The leading and guidance of the Holy Spirit (e.g. Macedonian call in Acts 16:9–10)
WHAT ARE THE GOALS OF THE LEADERSHIP TRAINING SEMINARS?
- Develop the emerging generation of leaders of leaders
- Equip pastors and leaders with skills to develop their leadership and grow their churches
- Develop trainers in these strategic locations
- Encourage, strengthen and minister to pastors and leaders
- Inspire, equip and mobilise churches for cross-cultural ministry (especially to LRPs)
IS THERE ONLY A SINGLE SEMINAR OR IS THERE ONGOING DEVELOPMENT?
WOI commits to return and work with the same group for three–five years, depending on the context. Three-day seminars are run once a year in each location.
HOW ARE THE SEMINARS FUNDED?
WOI raises money to sponsor pastors and leaders to attend the seminars. These seminars operate because of the faithful and generous giving of people, churches and businesses. It costs about US$50 / £35 per leader, per seminar.
Donations can be made to: World Outreach International and designated Growing Leaders. Forward to your nearest WOI office.
Donations can also be made via our website by clicking here.
If you wish to receive more information on any of these projects, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
International Director of World Outreach since January 2017.
Bruce has been married to Fiona since 1983 and lives in Melbourne. They have three grown children and one granddaughter.