Celebrating Twenty-Five Years of Generation Ministries
- Thirty-two years ago, Peter and Bev van der Westhayzen left Bible college and began full-time missions involvement.
- Twenty-five years ago they relocated to Hong Kong, stepped out in faith, and began ministry to the children of Asia and the Middle East.
- In response to God’s clear call, they trusted in the truth expressed so well by Hudson Taylor that “God’s work done in God’s way would never lack God supply.”
- The Lord supplied money and dedicated people from various nations who teamed up with them and became the key to fulfilling what God called them to accomplish.
- Many thousands of children began relationships with Jesus and grew through discipleship programmes.
- Bev began to write, starting with the first ten foundational discipleship lessons.
- Despite no firm contacts in restricted-access nations such as China and Vietnam, through one God-ordained circumstance after the other, step-by-step, the Lord made a way to overcome many obstacles.
- From small beginnings with only a dream of how this could come to pass, Generation Ministries now ministers to tens of thousands of children in over ten nations.
- Some highlights have been:
- After working with Vietnamese refugees for two years in Hong Kong, they began twenty-five years of ministry to Vietnamese children among the house church movement.
- A four-year programme in China resulted in 20,000 children’s workers being trained.
- The birthing of an exceptional ministry in Bangladesh that now, through a staff of sixty-four people, reaches communities where children’s needs are greatest.
- The introduction, publication, and wide usage of an extensive discipleship programme in four countries.
- Over 70,000 “Grow Up with Jesus” (CBL) book/visual aid sets printed.
- Publishing of another 60,000 books of lessons, Bible studies, and evangelism materials in seven languages.
- Training of around 50,000 children’s workers.
- Small-scale humanitarian projects.
- Peter and Bev write that they are “so grateful to those who have supported the ministry – particularly those who have given consistently for many years – some since the very beginning of our ministry. We are hugely grateful to God who has given us this wonderful privilege of serving him in his purposes.”
Peter and Bev started Generation Ministries (a ministry of World Outreach) during their four years in Hong Kong ministering to Vietnamese refugees. They have been in full-time missions ministry for over 30 years after Peter’s career as a project design engineer. They headed up the New Zealand team for Asian Outreach before founding Generation Ministries.
Their ministry targets the children of Asia – particularly the restricted access nations of China, Vietnam, Myanmar, Nepal, Bangladesh, and North-east India. Their original goal was to see 100,000 children won to Christ.