Clarity of Expectation
Clarity and realistic expectations are important for us. This is why this is a comprehensive page. If you are interested in being part of an Alpha Mission Team, please read this page carefully.
What will you be doing over the course of the two years?
- Learning about both the theory and the practical side of missions
- Learning the language – to become fluent in it. One of the reasons people are unreached is because they don’t understand English. It takes between ten months and two years of sustained, concentrated effort to learn a language well enough to be able to make disciples in that language.
- Learning the culture – “culture” is not just how you look or dress, but encompasses everything you do – even how you think, how you react to things, how you learn – and, most importantly, how you react to the gospel. It is immeasurably important to understand the people.
- Making good friends with the people, and learning to love them as Jesus does.
- Learning to understand their religion so that you are able to understand how to introduce them to Jesus.
- Sharing the Gospel once you are able.
- Learning how to start multiplying fellowships (Church Planting Movements /Disciple Making Movements).
- Learning how to lovingly make disciples of Jesus who in turn make other disciples.
- Learning more about what Jesus meant when he said “deny yourself, take up your cross, and follow me”.
Testimonies from Frontier Missionaries
I discovered my strengths and weaknesses. My faith was strengthened. I knew that this is what I was born for! – (BV)
To help someone discover Jesus is more exhilarating and satisfying than any drug could ever be – (BV)
This has satisfied the passion I had bubbling in me – (HV)
Your testimony to be added here…
More on Team Life
Single people will stay together, as will each family or couple. You will start off with learning the language of the people. Never done this? No worries – you will have learned how to learn a language in the Nations Course, and now you will apply it.
Every week the team will get together to worship, pray for one another, and encourage one another.
As you progress in learning the language from the people, your WOI Team Mentor will send you assignments to guide you in learning more about certain aspects of the culture. All the time you will be on the lookout for the best way of sharing the gospel with the people. You will start loving the people.
Eventually, once you are sufficiently fluent in the language, you will start sharing the gospel with the people in a culturally appropriate way. By the grace of God, we believe you will see people become born again children of God – perhaps the first ones ever for your area! And you will have played a part in making it happen!
While all this is going on, you will be reading more about missions, working through the syllabus on a variety of subjects like Prayer, Anthropology, Language Learning, Spiritual Warfare, Bible Storytelling, Evangelism and Church Planting, Disciple Making, and so on.
The Lord will be with you during the two years, guiding and encouraging you through the Holy Spirit.